Sunday 28 April 2019

X is for ...




X is for... 

This is a joke, right? 

X is for...? Well this is supposed to be a challenge and X certainly meets this criteria!

The only thing I can think of to write about for this challenge without cheating and checking what other Family Historians have written about is...
X

This was often the mark made by our ancestors who were not blessed with the luxury of a formal education. Many an “X” appears instead of a signature on shipping lists, muster forms, census forms, marriage, birth, death applications to name just a few.  

But as my research is still in it’s early days( I have only been researching for about ten years after all) I have not found an “X”.  

Yet!  

I look forward to reading some other's "X" posts.

1 comment:

  1. I have an X ancestor whose family emigrated from France to Quebec, Canada and he eventually moved down to Wisconsin in the USA. He signed his citizenship papers with an X. But he knew his "figures" because he bought and sold property, and knew all the math required for farming. I think "unschooled" and "illiterate" are not synonymous.

    ReplyDelete

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024 - Week 9 - Changing Names

  I have quite a few “changing names” candidates for this prompt. It never ceases to amaze me how some names through no fault of their own c...