Monday 22 April 2019

S is for...





S is for … Samuel, Stanley, Stanville, Samantha, Sarah, Sandra, Saxon, Susanne, Steven, Stephen, Stella, Sharlyse, Sonja, Ship, Surname to throw out just a few! 

My maternal grandfather was a Samuel Stanley Briggs. He named his house Stanville and had a courier business called SS Briggs Carriers. So he contributed quite a lot to the “S” theme. I have written a couple of short creative non fiction stories featuring Samuel Stanley. These can be found under Weekly Writing Activity, so I won’t elaborate further here. I do have a fair bit of research yet to do for this line of my family. For those who have kept up with my writings you will notice a familiar theme …. I have much research yet to do! 

Another “S” word that causes me grief is Ship. I have spent so many hours scrolling through ship passenger lists, looking for elusive ancestors arrival in Australia.  Many a time I have thrown my hands up in the air and exclaimed Surely they didn’t swim here!” They are notorious for just listing passengers as Mr or Mrs, without Christian name or even initials. NOT very helpful in trying to find an ancestor.  

So seeing that I am still keeping up with this Blogging Challenge I will sign off now. 



2 comments:

  1. Visiting from A to Z and a fellow Australian family history blogger. It is frustrating when you don't know when and by which ship they came. I have found Trove has helped with some newspaper letters from grateful passengers which have supplemented passenger lists. Another source for me was hospital records - some of the goldfields hospitals - particularly Maryborough sought details of immigration when admitting patients.

    Regards
    Anne
    https://ayfamilyhistory.com/2019/04/22/s-is-for-shrewsbury/

    ReplyDelete

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024 - Week 9 - Changing Names

  I have quite a few “changing names” candidates for this prompt. It never ceases to amaze me how some names through no fault of their own c...