Sunday 21 April 2019

R is for ..





R is for …Ralph, Rebecca, Robert, Robin, Ruth, Ryan, Ruby

Today’s letter is a no-brainer for me. 

Ruby Florence Brandt was my darling mother. 

She was born Ruby Florence Briggs in 1917, married my father in 1941 and died in 1996. 

One of my cherished memories of my mother is her never ending ability to make things, a real homemaker. She was an avid sewer. She sewed clothes, home furnishing, made dolls and dolls clothes and many other things. You name it and my mother could usually make it up for you. 

I remember a childhood of never having to go shopping for clothes, mum took care of that as she made it for me. 

I remember wedding dresses being made for myself and my sisters. I remember her giving me tips about dressmaking and sewing. Not that I really took much notice at the time, but it has stood me in good stead over the years in my journey with the sewing machine. 

They say we turn into our mothers and as I get older I realise that I am more and more like her. 

 I am fine with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024 - Week 9 - Changing Names

  I have quite a few “changing names” candidates for this prompt. It never ceases to amaze me how some names through no fault of their own c...