Sunday 28 April 2019

U is for ...



U is for....

Well U is for a lot of things, but unfortunately not much relating to Family History. I have one Ursula in my Family Tree, but once again as she is a living relative, I will not write about her.

So my “U” word will be University.
What does University have to do with Family History I hear you ask? For me a lot. 

University was the biggest influence in the creation of my Family History Blog.

To be more precise The University of Tasmania. Tasmania is a state of Australia and is a little island on the southern most tip of Australia. 

I started this journey of learning in July 2015. I saw a post on Facebook advertising a Diploma of Family History. As I was retired and dabbled in Family History research it sparked my interest. So of course I had to read more and I clicked on the link. 

The initial unit of the course was of short duration and the last assignment was due at the end of September. As my husband and I were going overseas in the October of that year, this looked good. 

The course was free. I have never turned down a bargain. So this also looked good! 

The course was fully online. I am Mobility Challenged so I do like online things. So this definitely looked good ! 

The course was on Family History. How could I not do this, I asked myself?  

So I signed up and I began a wonderful learning journey. I had only gone to school to the age of 16 in 1971. I was apprehensive and nervous. How was an old duck like me(60years young) going to cope with University?  

Once I started I soon found many of my fellow students were of the same vintage or older than me. As it was fully on line we came from all around Australia. 

Two and a half years and a total of 8 units later found my husband and I and a cheer squad of my eldest sister and a dear friend travelling to Tasmania for my Graduation Ceremony to receive my Diploma in Family History. 

University taught me many things, not only helpful in my Family History journey. It taught me that I am never too old to undertake a challenge. It awakened a thirst for knowledge that I really never knew I had.  

University for me was an outlet for my “little grey matter” to come out and play.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024 - Week 9 - Changing Names

  I have quite a few “changing names” candidates for this prompt. It never ceases to amaze me how some names through no fault of their own c...