Sunday 14 April 2019

J is for ...






J is for… Jessy, Jesse, Jess, Jessie, Jack, James, Jane, Janet, John, Jonathan, Joseph, Judith, Jemma, Janyce, Jessica.


J names seem to be very prevalent in my Family Tree. 

I have often wondered on the different ways a name can be spelt. When it comes to my Family Tree it would seem that there are a few varieties.

I have a 2 x great aunt who’s birth and baptismal records have her listed as Jessy Kingston Briggs. 

When she was married the newspaper report has her down as Jesse Briggs. (Which is obviously incorrect as this is the male spelling of the name.) 

She appears on her children birth records online, as Jessie Kingston Roberts, Jessy Kingston Roberts and just Jessie Roberts. I am beginning to think that this Jessie wrote on forms whatever took her fancy at the time! Or there is the possibility that her husband filled in the forms and wasn't that crash hot in the spelling department.  But I am tipping that her Birth records are probably on the money. There will need to be a lot of investigative strategies taken to prove the real spelling of her name. But as she is a Collateral ancestor I will save that up for another day.

The next peculiar spelling of a name was by my own parents! My eldest sister was given the name of Janyce. It is an unusual spelling and it does seem strange that our parents chose this variation. 

But for now as I am behind in these posts, I will keep this short and sweet and get onto the next letter.

4 comments:

  1. Names fascinate me too so I enjoyed your post. It was not until I got my mother's birth certificate that I saw her name was spelt Roena and not Rowena - as she did. I wonder if she even knew her birth certificate was different because she lived in a time where you did not need it to get things like bank accounts or drivers licenses.
    Fran
    TravelGenee visiting from the A to Z challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I have the same thing with my father. I have found various spellings of his name Garvice. Gravice for one. He called himself Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting that lot of persons in USA do learn more about their families. For my A to Z 2019 blog, Industrial Engineering and Operations Management - Distinction and Combination turns out to be the most useful and popular post. I expect 1000 page views by April end.

    ReplyDelete

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024 - Week 9 - Changing Names

  I have quite a few “changing names” candidates for this prompt. It never ceases to amaze me how some names through no fault of their own c...