Monday 8 April 2019

G is for...





G is for Garvice, Galvin, George, Geoffrey, Gillian, Gladys, Gregory, Gorman. 

The focus of this post has to be my double “GG” father, my dad, Garvice Galvin Brandt. 

So to follow is a little Creative Non Fiction story that I have been playing around with..... 

With a lusty cry, he entered the world with a rush. The warm Autumn breeze was wafting through the window of the Gunnedah hospital. Garvice Galvin Brandt was born on the 16th April 1914.⁠ [1]  

Isabella was tired after a long labour, but ecstatic that after two girls she was now finally able to present George with a son. Nurse Jackson and Dr Rollo, were fussing over the crib at the other end of the room.⁠ [2]  I wish they would bring him over for a cuddle. 

As if they had heard her thoughts her baby was being placed in her waiting arms. 

Oh my....he has the most adorable, wavy hair and intense light blue eyes. Just like his sisters.

She immediately fell in love all over again. She marvelled at how a heart’s capacity could grow with love with each birth. Her girls Valma and Lorna were loved deeply by her and George, but somehow now she just had more love to share around her children.⁠ [3] 

Suddenly Nurse Jackson was ushering in her husband.

George, we have a son, quick come here and have a look,”: she exclaimed.

George who had been pacing up and down the hallway for what seem like hours, couldn’t hide his smile. But his first action was for his wife, giving her a tender kiss. 

“You look amazing my dear, I love you.”

“Get on with you,” Isabella smiled as she returned the kiss, placing their son in his arms.

“My what a bonny boy, just look at that hair and his eyes,” George whispered, taking in all of his son’s features with wonder. 

Isabella and George were left with the baby boy for a longer time than was normal as there was another baby making an appearance in the next cubicle. Usually the father, was only allowed in for a quick look and then sent home. So it was with a thankful heart that they spent a lovely couple of hours with their new born son together. 

“What should we call him, love?” asked George, not able to take his eyes off the bundle in his arms. 

Isabella, laughed at her besotted husband. “Don’t you have any preferences in mind?” 

“No my dear, I was convinced that we were having another girl and have only ideas for them.” 

“Well, if you really don’t have any ideas, what do you think about keeping the tradition of the GG initials going?” 

“Well you know I love tradition, but I can’t see him as a Gertrude though.”

“No silly, I didn’t mean Gertrude. My name was Isabella Gertrude Galvin. So I was thinking if you like it, we could name him Garvice Galvin Brandt.” Isabella held her breath, thinking that he would think her frivolous. 

“Well my love, I can work out where the Galvin comes into play, but for the life of me I can’t figure out where the Garvice comes from?” 

“Weeeelll, you know how I have liked to read so much in the afternoons while resting? Well Charles Garvice is my favourite author. But if you don’t like it, we could pick another name. I really don’t mind.” 

“Ah, I see. You know what, I think Garvice Galvin, has a real nice sound to it. Let’s go with that, then.” 

Nurse Jackson appeared at the end of the bed and proceeded to usher George out, very concerned that he was still there and holding the baby of all things! What were things coming to, with fathers holding babies. It just wasn’t right!  

But George sneaked another kiss of his beloved wife and Garvice Galvin before he was shooed out the door.  

Looking back for one last wave he was pleased to see Isabella smiling broadly and waving furiously with Garvice in her arms. 

*************
As my parents never spoke of their family or its history this little story is pure supposition!  There are factual elements here taken from the birth certificate, but I have put "flesh on the bones" from my imagination for this narrative.

________________
1 NSW Birth Registration Transcription for Garvice Galvin BRANDT #1914/19533, Ref No 8922143, Printed 23 January 2017

2 NSW Birth Registration Transcription for Garvicie Galvin BRANDT #1914/19533, Ref No 8922143, Printed 23 January 2017

3 NSW Birth Registration Transcription for Garvice Galvin BRANDT #1914/19533, Ref No 8922143, Printed 23 January 2017.

4 comments:

  1. I love that you made up a little story from the facts
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting, I am glad you enjoyed my little story.

      Delete
  2. So funny to read the part about the nurse saying what are things coming to with the father holding the baby. The times have indeed changed. I wrote an entire novel putting meat on the bones of my genealogical research, something that gives me much insight into my ancestors. I enjoyed reading your story.
    http://gail-baugniet.blogspot.com/
    I is for: Infamous-Prison Secrets Part 1-of-2
    J is for: Just Listen–Prison Secrets Part 2-of-2
    (Theme: very short stories/varied genres)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gail, Yes sometime we only have our imagination to go with little facts on records, don't we.

      Delete

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024 - Week 9 - Changing Names

  I have quite a few “changing names” candidates for this prompt. It never ceases to amaze me how some names through no fault of their own c...