Wednesday 17 April 2019

O is for ...




O is for…. Oswald, Owen, Oliver, Obituaries, Occupation, Overwhelming, Offspring, Overload.

Oh, Oooh, what to write for O.

I have not done any research on these names in my Family Tree. So I am at a loss as to what to write.

I have read my share and probablly someone else’s share of obituaries though!

When you find a good obituary they can sometimes lead to very interesting information worth researching. There may be stories about the deceased and often names of offspring that you are unaware of. If the obituary has been written by someone close to the deceased it can lead to a wealth of information for the researcher.

I have many ancestors that chose to name their offspring after themselves. It is when researching these particular ancestors that I run into information overload, finding myself with two Oswalds who are very similar in their search parameters! It is here, usually late at night that I throw up my hands, completely overwhelmed and go to bed!





2 comments:

  1. Obituaries is the perfect "O" word for a genealogist. These tributes are a treasure chest of information in many cases. Most disappointing are those that do not name names.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I agree with you Gail, it is so disappointing when there are no names mentioned.

    ReplyDelete

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024 - Week 9 - Changing Names

  I have quite a few “changing names” candidates for this prompt. It never ceases to amaze me how some names through no fault of their own c...