Sunday 14 April 2019

L is for ...






L is for… Lillie, Lily, Laurice, Laura, Leilani, Lorna, Lucy. 


Most people have a favourite Aunt. I have two one for L and one for V. 

Because this is a post for L…. I will deal with that one only ! 

Aunty Lorna

She was one of my Dad's two sister and I have fond memories of her. 

I remember staying at her house with my Mum and Dad. I don’t remember my Uncle George very much though.  

Aunty Lorna loved cards. Especially the card game of Canasta. You knew you were good if you ever came close to winning a game though. 

I can remember playing a card game of Newmarket with 1 and 2 cent pieces with her and Mum and Dad. I think it was my first foray into gambling. The stakes were high but no-one ever got to keep their winnings it just went back into kitty for the next time we played. But I do remember the thrill of counting those 1 and 2 cent pieces if I won!

I remember the very strong friendship that Aunty Lorna  had with my Mum. After my Dad died Aunty Lorna and Mum even went on holidays together. 

It reinforces to me that you don’t have to be born to the same mother to be sisters.  

So my L is for Lorna.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024 - Week 9 - Changing Names

  I have quite a few “changing names” candidates for this prompt. It never ceases to amaze me how some names through no fault of their own c...