Tuesday 27 February 2018

#52 ANCESTORS WEEK 8 - HEIRLOOM


My Heirloom


I have in my possession a Musical China Beer Tankard. 


Of course I have missed the boat on obtaining it's history. My parents are both dead and I never asked about their possessions. Life was always too busy, both for them and myself.

I just always remember it as being part of my family history. It was always there while I was growing up.

I remember it as belonging to my father. He never drank out of it, not that I saw anyway! 

But I do remember sitting on his knee as he wound it up and listening with amazement as it played Auld Land Syne.

My sisters can’t remember anything about it’s history. But to me it invokes memories of my father. I don’t know why, it just does. I only remember that my mother always told me it was his.

I have done a little research about it through “Mr Google” and I have found the following information.

There are numerous of these tankards on the web for sale and the prices vary greatly.

The Crown Devon Potteries name started in the 1870’s and closed in 1982. They made many items over the years.

The tankard is noted as being a Crown Devon Fieldings Musical Tankard circa 1930’s.

So it is not of great vintage. My parents were married in 1941, and my Mum, I think would have told me if it was a wedding present.

My Dad was a bit of a collector, and would pick things up in his daily travels as a Smallgoods Van Salesman. He would never pay very much for things as he was a great bargain hunter. Most things he collected were being either given or thrown away. I would suspect that he came by this tankard by one of these measures.

But for now it sits in my display cabinet, along with other treasures that I don’t know enough about. But even though I don’t know their full story, I do know that they were of importance, whether they were handed down through the ages or just found thrown out and given a home.

Many possessions of my parents have earned the tag, 

“One man’s trash is another man’s treasure.” 


But for now my Dad’s trash/treasure is one of my heirlooms!


Front of Tankard

Back of Tankard

All tankards were inscribed with the same number, indicating to me that it isn't very rare!



No comments:

Post a Comment

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024 - Week 9 - Changing Names

  I have quite a few “changing names” candidates for this prompt. It never ceases to amaze me how some names through no fault of their own c...