Friday 16 February 2018

28 DAY CHALLENGE DAY 15 - STITCHING AND THOUGHTS(Winter 1792)



Things settled down into a form of routine, over the next few months.

Elizabeth was alone a lot of the time. Thomas’ duties kept him busy for long periods and she was left to herself for much of the time.

She would have experienced many hardship in the fledgling colony, but with the prospect of a babe in the summer and the protection of a man who showed her kindness would have hopefully made her situation more bearable.

The sun settled early with the wintery days and Elizabeth looked out her precious window into the deepening shadows of early twilight. 


Jumping at the noise of the door opening she was surprised to find Thomas entering. She had’t heard him approaching, although it is a wonder that I did’t with the wobbly boot he seems to have on.


"Sir, sit down and let me take your boots off, you must be frozen with that bitter wind coming off the harbour.”

The scent of rum permeated the room, it must have been a slow day at the barracks today, she thought.

“Erlizabeeth, don’t you think it is time that youse, started calling me by me name? Youse can leave the Sir business, for when we are in company," he managed to slur before collapsing on the bed. 

Well, I’ll be!  Here I have been calling him Thomas in me thoughts for so long now, I guess I never thought he would want it too.

“I can have your dinner on the table in a minute Thomas, just let me pop outside and get us some out of the pot on the fire.”

When she came back in, it was to find Thomas snoring on the bed, dead to the world in a rum induced sleep.

Oh well, the more for me. I guess I can have the evening to myself, she thought closing the door on the bitter wind and night air.

Sitting down in what she thought as her little bit of luxury, Elizabeth remembered the day after she had told him of her condition. Thomas had shown up with some fabric and a needle and thread which he had traded for some of his rum. Rum was becoming more and more of a commodity in the colony. So now she was able to renew a skill she could remember her Mam teaching her a long time ago.  She spent many an evening with a needle in her hand. 

England seemed so very far away, I wonder if anyone from home remembers me? I don’t think I will ever get back there. Once this babe arrives I will become part of this country for all time. Patting her growing belly, a free settler, that’s what it will be called, she smiled at the thought. I can feel this land taking possession of me thoughts and soul each passing day,

Sighing in contentment she picked up her needlework and continued with the stitching for her new free settler.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024 - Week 9 - Changing Names

  I have quite a few “changing names” candidates for this prompt. It never ceases to amaze me how some names through no fault of their own c...