Friday 23 February 2018

28 DAY CHALLENGE DAY 17 - ORDINARY DAYS (Summer 1792 - Autumn 1793)


I never knew I could love someone so much. She is so tiny, so perfect,
Elizabeth sighed with exhaustion gazing at her new born babe. 


Thomas had stepped up and taken control of things during the birth. I can't believe he did as I told him. Everything. He did everything I told him quickly and efficiently thank heavens, just like the soldier he is!  

Elizabeth was soon back on her feet and relished the role of motherhood. Baby Isabella gives a purpose to me days. I need to keep me little family together and keep Thomas interested and wanting to keep us around. 

The New Year came and went, along with the continuing dry weather. Thomas still persists in his talk of farming being the future for getting ahead. But is it all just a big dream? 

With the changing of the seasons, Elizabeth found herself with more energy. She revelled in the autumn days, spending much time in the outdoors with Isabella, tending the garden to give them extra food, but it was a major job with the heat and drought.

“Elizabeth, Elizabeth, where are you?” bellowed Thomas coming around the side of the hut. Stopping at Isabella’s basket, he was just about to scoop his daughter up in his arms, when he noticed Elizabeth giving him a stern look. She had spent most of the afternoon walking and rocking her fussy babe to sleep. The last thing she needed at the moment was for him to wake her!

“Sssh, Thomas, I have only just got her to sleep. Whatever has you so excited”? 


Linking her arm in his, she guided him to their chairs set up under the trees. From here they would get the last of the autumn evening breeze, before the sun settled.

“Betsey, I have a surprise, the best of news, you are never going to guess.”

“Well if I am not going to be able to guess, I expect you had best tell me,” she replied with a smile.

“I have been granted today a leasehold on 2 acres of land for 14 years. I have to pay 2 shillings and 6 pence a year for it.⁠[1] It is my start to becoming a landowner, yes this is only the first. I will build you a fine house and I promise you this is only the start.”

Well, a land owner, as well as a fine Lieutenant soldier. As long as he always comes home to me I don’t care how much land he has. He is kind and loving. I never thought I would have this much and a babe into the bargain. 

Sitting with him in coolness of the silent evening, her thoughts drifted back to that day, the day he saw me on the Pitt!
__________

1 State Records Authority of New South Wales; Registers of Land Grants and Leases; Series: NRS 13836; Item: 7/445; Reel: 2560


No comments:

Post a Comment

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024 - Week 9 - Changing Names

  I have quite a few “changing names” candidates for this prompt. It never ceases to amaze me how some names through no fault of their own c...