Thursday 8 February 2018

28 DAY WRITING CHALLENGE DAY 6 - IT BEGINS (1791)



Shifting out of the way of a rat on his daily route through the filth that was all around her, Elizabeth sighed.

Oh, for the smell of the wildflowers of her childhood. I can almost feeling the soft petals on my feet as I run through them barefoot. Da is calling me to come home…


“Wake up you scraggily wenches, it’s time to go. Your next ‘ome will be on HMS The Pitt. Yer, got first rate digs,” he said, spitting on the floor as he entered, “now ‘urry up, you’ll be marching to the harbour.”

The gaoler left in his wake the usual stale stench of tobacco and rum, that clung to his clothes.

So today is the day. At long last for better or worse I am about to undertake the journey to me new life. Surely the boat will be better than this hell hole. We have been crammed in here for so long, I have forgotten what month it is!

They were soon herded out into the early morning fog. Even in the height of summer she found herself shivering in her skimpy rags, with water running ankle deep in the gutters as they made their way to the harbour. She sighed as the eery silence of the early morning fog engulfed her. There were not many people around at 3am to see the sad procession to the harbour. I have never been on a boat before, I ‘ope our lodgings are better than the gaol. 


Little did she know that her hopes were to be dashed once again on arrival at the wharf.

Walking up the rickety gangplank and taking her turn to climb over the bulwark, Elizabeth was assailed by the sheer number of people assembled on the deck already.

Where are the rest of ‘em behind me going to fit?


Her attention was soon distracted by one of the Officers giving them orders of what was going to happen on this voyage.

All too soon they were again herded like cattle to the opening in front of them. Holding her breath and hoping for better days to come, she followed others as they started the decent down the ladder to the hull.

Gagging at the overwhelming stench of decay and damp, her chains clinked in time with the others.

Hammocks! I don’t care if I have to share one, I’m not going to sleep on no more floor again! She hurried as best she could to stake her claim on the prized bedding.


There wasn’t a window in sight and Elizabeth soon realised that her time on the Pitt wasn’t going to be any easier than the gaol. But it couldn’t get any worse, could it?

So much for the first rate digs. This is going to be a long voyage!

No comments:

Post a Comment

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024 - Week 9 - Changing Names

  I have quite a few “changing names” candidates for this prompt. It never ceases to amaze me how some names through no fault of their own c...