Thursday 15 February 2018

28 DAY CHALLENGE DAY 14 - STILL SAFE (Feb/Mar?? 1792)



“I’m sorry Sir, I don’t know how it happened, I mean I know how it happened, I just don’t…”

“Elizabeth, stop blabbering and just breathe and drink your tea.”

Tea? He has made me tea? Lors above, whatever is the world coming to?

“Now as you have so kindly informed me you are going to have a babe. Is that correct?”

“Yes Sir, I am fairly sure that is what is happening, I haven’t had my bleed of late and I have been awful sickly. I don’t know what else it could be, but maybe the salted pork, or, or it could be something that I got on the boat. Or, or…”

“Elizabeth, calm yourself. Yes I think you may be right, I think having a babe might be the answer, but I am sure we will know definitely soon enough.”

“I can have me things packed in no time Sir, can I keep this gown, Sir? I know you said it was mine last time, but do you still mean it now?”

“Elizabeth, what are you talking about? You aren’t going anywhere. I may not be able to marry you, but I can still keep you under my protection and for all intent and purposes, you will still be my housekeeper. We rub along nicely together don’t we, I don’t want you to go.”


With that Elizabeth burst into tears as she ran out the door again, for another appointment with her favourite bush!

Thomas sighed and took himself off to the barracks for his guard duty. He knew that it wouldn’t be easy but he also knew that he had gotten used to having the slip of a girl around.

Returning to the hut Elizabeth realised that Thomas had left for the day. She realised that she had been given a gift. A gift of respectability. Thomas as an officer is not able to marry me, a convict. But he is going to keep me.  Blind eyes are being turned everyday to relationships between soldiers and convicts. 

I guess I just need to keep him interested and wanting me around. I can’t bring this babe up on me own. I don’t want me babe to be taken away. I don’t know how to be a Ma. But I guess I will just have to learn. 

I can do this!


No comments:

Post a Comment

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024 - Week 9 - Changing Names

  I have quite a few “changing names” candidates for this prompt. It never ceases to amaze me how some names through no fault of their own c...