Thursday 8 February 2018

Writing the Family Saga - Flash Story 4



Surely the boat would be better than this hell hole. We have been crammed in here for so long, I have forgotten what month it is!

Elizabeth’s nostrils twitched with the stale smell of tobacco and rum emanating from the gaoler coming down the passageway.

“Wake up you scraggily wenches, it’s time to go. Your next ‘ome will be on HMS The Pitt. Yer, got first rate digs,” he said, spitting on the floor as he entered, “now ‘urry up, you’ll be marching to the harbour.”

Shivering in her skimpy rags, with water running ankle deep in the gutters, she sighed as the eery silence of the early morning fog engulfed her. I have never been on a boat before, I ‘ope our lodgings are better than the gaol.

Her hopes were soon dashed on arriving at the wharf.

Climbing down the ladder, I gagged as the overwhelming stench and damp hit me. At least we have hammocks, even if I have to share, it’s better than the floor. Her chains clinked in time to all the others. So much for our first rate digs! This is going to be a long voyage!

Lieutenant Rowley walked up the gangplank. I hope I have a decent cabin.

“Boy, where’re you taking my things?” calling after his batman.

“Lieutenant, your cabin is this way please.”

Hmmp, cramped but better than I expected. Where is that wailing and smell coming from? Holding his kerchief to his nose and rubbing his hand over the mattress, he sighed, this is going to be a long voyage!

Reflective Statement


I struggled big time this week to choose my e-tivity. After much deliberation, I realised that I was thinking too broadly and trying to cover too much.

When I remembered to focus on just one incident, I was able to tackle this e-tivity, with a bit more confidence.

I still had to 'kill some darlings' in my efforts to describe two different accounts of my great, great, great grandparents arrival on the ship that would bring them to Australia.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024 - Week 9 - Changing Names

  I have quite a few “changing names” candidates for this prompt. It never ceases to amaze me how some names through no fault of their own c...