Saturday 10 February 2018

28 DAY CHALLENGE DAY 8 - THE BARGAIN (1791)



Hurrying through the passage way she ran into the Red Coat, waiting for her.

“Tell me about yourself, what’s your name?” he asked.

I don’t know what I expected, but it wasn’t quite this.


“Elizabeth Selwyn, Sir. I think I am about nineteen and I am being transported ‘oer the seas, for 7 years. I stole some clothes Sir. I’m scared Sir.”

Fidgeting where she stood Elizabeth’s thoughts wandered down paths she had never explored before. He is looking me over like a piece of meat for the Sunday roast. But he doesn’t look mean and he sure looks good!


“Well Elizabeth, I have a proposition for you. I am bored and need some company. I also need someone to look after my things on this journey. I will expect you to keep my cabin tidy, my clothes respectable and share my bed and my days when I desire. In return I will protect you for the rest of the journey and you will not have to go down below to the hulls again. I am a gentleman and will not harm you in any way. What say you, is it a bargain?”

Well blow me down! I hadn’t seen this coming and he wants me to answer him now. How do I pass this offer up? He could just take me, without any deals. 

She had seen other women taken upstairs at the whim of officers and seamen, who had coin to grease the guard’s palms. If I say no he will just find another, should I say no?

Looking him straight in the eye, her answer came before she could give herself more time to think.

“Yes, sir,” she said in a rush.

“Come, follow me and I will take you to my cabin,” turning he headed up the ladder. Hurrying after him, Elizabeth hoped that she had made the right decision, but what choice do I have?


Entering the cabin she noticed the two cots on the wall, a chair and a tiny table. But it was dry and it’s saving grace was a tiny window that could let in the air. Air, glorious air. I can endure anything with fresh air each day. I wonder why he has a cabin with two cots?

“Elizabeth, my name is Thomas Rowley, I am a Lieutenant of the British Army and I am also going to the new colony, where I will be joining the NSW Corps. My time is my own until we get there, apart from a few meetings with my superiors at different intervals. I hope we can rub along well together. But for now, put those things down and come over here.” 
Shortly after Elizabeth was left in the cabin to tidy up his possessions. 


Well, if that is a taste of my duties for the rest of my time on this stinking ship, I guess I can manage!


He had told her that when not with him she would be confined to the cabin.

That suits me just fine, at least I will be away from all them eyes and there is always me little window.


No comments:

Post a Comment

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024 - Week 9 - Changing Names

  I have quite a few “changing names” candidates for this prompt. It never ceases to amaze me how some names through no fault of their own c...