Thursday 8 February 2018

Week Three Flash Story


Chatting with History


Louisa stirred in bed with a sense of dread.

She lay wondering why baby Ethel wasn’t fussing as usual and Alfred snoring beside her. The realisation slowly came to her. She was alone in their bed.

“Are you awake Missus?” the young girl who came in on a daily basis to help with the cleaning of the bar asked.

“What are you doing here, Gertie?" But before Gertie could answer, Louisa awoke fully with the memories of last night flooding back. Alfred was gone. Fallen to his death down the well. 


“There is a Constable waiting to see you Missus, I’ll just pop out and let him know you be awake,” she replied.

Louisa stopped her, “I must see the children, please bring them to me.”

She dragged herself from the bed and realised she was in the same clothes as last night. Oh well she thought, a comb through my hair will suffice for now. Where is my comb? Dear God, how am I going to tell the children?

Realising that someone was knocking on her bedroom door, she called: “Enter.”

Constable O’Riellly came in. “I am sorry to have to inform you Mrs Brandt, that Alfred’s body has been recovered from the well out back. He is indeed dead. The Magistrate has taken his body, as there will need to be an inquest. “

Louisa could only nod, “ I have to see my children, excuse me,” she replied as she ran from the room.





No comments:

Post a Comment

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024 - Week 9 - Changing Names

  I have quite a few “changing names” candidates for this prompt. It never ceases to amaze me how some names through no fault of their own c...