Sunday 4 February 2018

28 DAY WRITING CHALLENGE 2018 - DAY 1 Introducing Elizabeth Selwyn



Today is the first day of my 28 Day Family History Challenge.  

It has been suggested by our Co-Ordinator to ask myself what my story is really about? How is the story I plan on writing going to touch a nerve in the busy lives of my family.

I am asked to write it down and keep it in front of me as I write over the next 28 days, letting it be my guide.

As I prepared to write my first draft of my story in the Writing Challenge, I had decided to write about my paternal Grandfather.

But I soon realised that I was under prepared with my research to do him justice. So I have decided that I will put him on hold for another time (maybe next year’s challenge).

I have now decided to write about my maternal Great great great grandmother Elizabeth Selwyn. I have done a fair bit of research on her but there is still so much to find. So I will be doing research along with writing, but one of the things I learnt from last year’s Challenge is to seperate my writing time and my research time. 

So when I am setting out to write I will just write and not research. The research can be done at another time and I can make quick notes to come back to in my drafts. I now know that It is important to me just to write and see where it leads me.

What is my story of Elizabeth Selwyn really about? 

I would say in a nutshell…. Strong Women. Yes, corny I hear you say! 

But I hope to bring Elizabeth to life for my family and myself, as obviously I never met her.

I hope over the next 28 days I can breathe life into my Elizabeth and it turns out an enjoyable read. 

So here goes….. another in the series of Strong Women in my Family Tree.

Please watch this space and hopefully the first instalment won’t be far away.

But for now I will just put a very basic timeline up, as the first instalment and my story will start in ernest on Day 2, which by the way has been and gone along with Day 3!  But I will catch up.

2 comments:

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024 - Week 9 - Changing Names

  I have quite a few “changing names” candidates for this prompt. It never ceases to amaze me how some names through no fault of their own c...