Thursday 8 February 2018

Week Six Flash Story



My Photo 

The boys and I are ready. Mr Kent will be here to take our photograph soon. I will finally have a record of my success. Something to hand down to my children and hopefully their children. I have never had my photograph taken before.

The three trucks sparkled in the sunlight. They had been washed and polished until they shone with the combined effort of Samuel and his team.

SS Briggs Contractor - Roselle was painted on the side of each of the three trucks.

Just think, it was only last week that I had been running the business with horses and drays. Now here I am the owner of these fine new trucks.

This type of advertising is the future . My business will prosper with this advertising promotion. 




****

Now approximately ninety five years later, I ponder this professionally taken photo in my possession, taken in circa 1920 by Milton C Kent.

My research and University courses have shown me the importance of this photo. I need to release it from the cluttered drawer and get it in a frame on my wall.

Obviously it meant a great deal to my Grandfather, although I don't remember my mum ever talking about it.

I wonder if the Great Depression proved the downfall of his business. History was to prove that things didn't go well for Samuel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024 - Week 9 - Changing Names

  I have quite a few “changing names” candidates for this prompt. It never ceases to amaze me how some names through no fault of their own c...