Wednesday 14 February 2018

28 DAY CHALLENGE DAY 12 - THE EARLY DAYS (1792)



The days morphed into a string of endless hard work and hunger.

It was all she could do to keep the dust out of his clothes and to keep the food in their bellies. Thomas seemed to be constantly on duty and away for long periods of time.

I hope we get out of this tent soon and into one of them huts, they are building up on the hill, Elizabeth thought on a daily basis. Thomas keeps telling me that we will have our own dwelling soon. I hope he is right, a place to tend to the garden and grow things, would be good. 


The rations in the colony were reduced regularly. Elizabeth was challenged many times with the task of feeding them both, but it was a challenge that she relished and a challenge she rose up to.

If I wasn’t with Thomas, I don’t think I would have lasted this long. She had seen the treatment meted out to the single female convicts and she knew she was better off with the protection of her Red Coat.

This country is so dry, does it never rain? This harsh land has taken so many in the last couple of years. I hope the building of the Tank Stream finishes soon. If it does rain Thomas reckons it will provide us all with a reliable water storage in the dry times.

While she tended the fire and stirred the stew for supper, Elizabeth was assailed with waves of nausea. Running over to the edge of their camp she found herself hurling up much of her lunch.

Well I know that last bit of salted pork was just about to turn, but I didn’t think it had already!


Returning to the camp fire she resumed her stirring of the stew.

I hope he is home soon and not in his cups, she thought giving the stew a vicious stir.  It will be as tough as old bags soon and not fit for eating.

References
 
The History of Sydney: Early Colonial Sydney, http://www.visitsydneyaustralia.com.au/history-6-early-col.html

STARR, MARION, Unhappy Exiles Convicts of the Pitt and Kitty 1792, Australia 1016

No comments:

Post a Comment

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024 - Week 9 - Changing Names

  I have quite a few “changing names” candidates for this prompt. It never ceases to amaze me how some names through no fault of their own c...