Saturday 24 February 2018

28 DAY CHALLENGE DAY 18 - Land Grants 1793



True to his word Thomas was soon showing Elizabeth his second grant of 100 acres of land within three weeks.

“Look Betsey, we will soon be acknowledged as fine landowners, I think I will run sheep. There is money to be made in wool and I am going to make it.”

No matter what happens, I am never going to be acknowledge as your wife though. Mother of your children, maybe, but wife, no, never! But I can be content with that. Me life could have been so much harder, I am lucky with me lot.

“I have decided to apply for a pardon for you. I know Major Grose well and I don’t think it will be hard to get an Absolute Pardon for you, with my influence and recommendation . As mother of my child, I can’t see any problem. What say you, will you stay with me if you get your freedom?”

In just over a year of arriving in the colony, Elizabeth was now faced with the possibility of a pardon. She found it hard to fathom how her seven years could be reduced so quickly.

“Of course Thomas, you are the father of me precious babe, besides, where else would I go?”

With the appointment of Major Francis Grose as Administrator to the colony after the departure of Governor Arthur Phillip in December 1792, the NSW Corps were given more and more power. The trading of rum for services proved to be a lucrative prospect for many of the soldiers.⁠[1]

I am not sure why we are getting so many provisions and rations these days. But I am not going to question it. I will do or take whatever is set before me in order to feed me love ones and keep a roof over me head. Why shouldn’t I get some easy livin’ for a change. Baby Isabella is starting to crawl and is forever covered in dirt from the floors. Wouldn’t it be grand to not have to constantly clean her up after a play on the floor. What wouldn’t I give to have a house of me own?  


“Betsey, you are miles away, pour me another rum and come sit with me awhile. I want to tell you about the house. I have been told that I am entitled to two convicts as servants for a period of two years. It will give you some help in the house when it is ready as well as an outside worker. What say you to that?"
_________

1 Hitorial Records of New South Wales Vol.II - Grose and Patterson 1793-1798, Edited by F.M.Bladen , Barrister at Law, Sydney: Charles Potter, Government Printer 1893


No comments:

Post a Comment

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024 - Week 9 - Changing Names

  I have quite a few “changing names” candidates for this prompt. It never ceases to amaze me how some names through no fault of their own c...