Tuesday 13 February 2018

28 DAY CHALLENGE DAY 11 - VALENTINE'S DAY (1792)



“Stay here Elizabeth, I need to report to my commander, and get my orders. I will also find out where I will be quartered,” Thomas ordered before he left her in the shade of a tree, after disembarking.

Where would I go, she thought? All around her was blinding sunshine and bush, dirt and tents. Realising that the guards were approaching she noticed that chains were being taken off most of the convicts. They were a superfluous piece of equipment now. There was nowhere to escape to. The landscape was enough of a deterrent on it’s own! The bush was almost certain death.

Returning a couple of hours later, Thomas stirred Elizabeth from her rest. Sweat was glistening on her skin.

“Come, I have been given a tent. I have to report for duty this evening, so you will need to set up camp quickly, if I am to eat before I go.”

Lors above, I don’t know how to put up a tent.

Thankfully Thomas knew how and proceeded with this occupation while Elizabeth started a fire and prepared a meal from the rations that he gave her.

Over their joint meal Thomas explained, “The colony have been sorely disappointed with the arrival of the Pitt. They were expecting a lot more provisions and what has arrived only adds to the current store rations for a further 40 days.⁠[1] 
This place needs to be farmed Elizabeth, there could be great things happening in this new land. Land will be the key, yes land is the key.”

Elizabeth smiled and nodded, it wasn’t her place to have an opinion. She was just content that she was safe with someone she had come to know.

“What is the date Sir?”

“Why Elizabeth, it is the 14th February, 1792. Now there’s a date to remember for sure. We have arrived in this new land on Valentine’s Day. Will you be awake when I come home I wonder?”

I don’t know what Valentine’s Day is, but if the master wants me awake when he comes home I will be. 

The sun took a long time to set after Thomas left. The noises of the new colony ensured that Elizabeth was awake when Thomas returned. It had been impossible for her to sleep, what with each new unknown sound and the relentless heat that didn’t go away with the setting sun.

She felt him join her in the makeshift cot that she had assembled on the dirt floor.

“Elizabeth, why did you leave the dress I gave you behind in the cabin today?” he asked nuzzling up to her.

“I didn’t think it was mine to keep, I thought I was going back to the convict gang,” she replied turning over to look at him.

“Silly girl, why would I do that?”

Drifting off to sleep later in the arms of a snoring Red Coat she reflected, I guess there won’t be any bed bugs out here, but I hope there aren’t any other crawly things more bitey.

_________

1 STARR, MARION, Unhappy Exiles Convicts of the Pitt and Kitty 1792, Australia 1016


No comments:

Post a Comment

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024 - Week 9 - Changing Names

  I have quite a few “changing names” candidates for this prompt. It never ceases to amaze me how some names through no fault of their own c...