Monday 20 May 2019

Honour Avenue Dedication Ceremony

The 18th May 2019 dawned in Western Australia with a chilly morning.  My nephew Martin reported that it was 2 degrees while he and his partner and three children were getting ready to head out to Kings Park, for the Dedication Ceremony.

Meanwhile over 3500klms away it was with mixed feelings that I went about my weekend activities. I would have loved to be there but distance was just too much of a barrier. I spent the day in various activities. I had to vote! I had to find my craft supplies for my annual week away with girlfriends, filled with lots of laughter, food, wine and craft activities and binge watching of our favourite TV series “Call the Midwife”. 

But as I would not be taking my laptop with me(only an iPad) I hoped that I would be able to give a report on the Dedication Service, before I left.

I had been asked to provide information on Peter Brandt to the Dedication Committee of the Honour Avenues.  The information I provided was used to introduce Peter to the audience at the Service, which can be seen below. I did not include his military service in my blurb, as the committee had access to this already and I felt that they could add this of their own accord, which they did.

“ PETER BRANDT 1874-1917 
Peter Brandt was the third son born to Louisa Barker and Alfred Brandt in 1874 in Lowes Paddock, Home Rule in the District of Gulgong, NSW. 
His parents had moved here from Tasmania sometime after the birth of his eldest brother Alfred in 1870 in Launceston, and before his second eldest brother Magnus’ birth in 1872 In Gulgong. 
After his birth the family relocated north, where his father became the Publican of the Sugarloaf Inn near Gunnedah. 
Another three brothers John(1876), George(1878), William(1880) and a sister Ethel(1882) were all born in Gunnedah. 
His father tragically died by falling down a well in 1883 when Peter was just 9 years old. His mother, left to bring up seven children on her own took over the Publican’s Licence to support her family. 
She then married August Engstrom in 1886. A stepsister, Frances was born in 1887 in Gunnedah. In 1888 Peter was again left fatherless when his step-father died from inflammation of the lungs. 
In the early 1890’s Peter’s mother moved the family into Gunnedah where she supported them by continuing her Publican’s License, at various establishments. 
It is not known whether Peter had the chance to attend school and his career path is uncertain. 
There are documents yet to be verified that he may have followed in his father and mother’s footsteps by becoming a Publican in Sydney in the later part of the 18th century. 
His documented job records according to Electoral Rolls, place him in various towns in WA from 1903 to the time of enlistment in 1916 in the village of Menzies, where he is also remembered on the Cenotaph.”
Ceremony Committee 


Peter's Plaque
Recipients of the day

Martin beside Peter's plaque
Peter's plaque under Eucalypt Tree


My nephew and his partner took some photos and also videoed the service.  I have viewed all of these and I am very grateful for the lovely videos that they took, enabling me to see the service and feel part of it. It was a very moving service with the Last Post being played under brilliant WA sunshine.  When Peter’s history was read I noticed many of my own words being repeated.

I am not going to relate Peter’s Military Service, I have already done that in a Uni Essay that can be read on this blog.

My husband and I were honoured that we were able to do this for my ancestor and we are grateful that as Peter never married that a descendant of the Brandt line was able to receive his plaque on the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024 - Week 8 - Heirlooms

  I have quite a few keepsakes in my possession that I have acquired over the years and some would say that I have far too many.  I am not a...