Sunday 5 January 2020

A little Poem


As I sit in my hospital room which has been my home for the last 20 days, I have been looking for something to occupy my time. I was unfortunate to have a fall on the 16th December which resulted in a break of my arm and pelvis, so here I stay until I can get home. There is supposed to be internet service here, but it is very "iffy"! Sometimes it is there and sometimes it is not.

But I really don't have anything to complain about.   Australia is in the grips of the worst bushfire season I have ever seen. So many towns are under the threat of flames and many are being evacuated to other areas, only to get there and find that they face evacuation again. There have been loss of lives and many losses of wildlife. If you are a person of faith, please add the gift of abundant rain for Australia to your prayer list.


Carrying on from my previous post in regard to my Great Uncle Peter Brandt I remembered that I had received a poem from one of my sisters who is gifted in poetry. I asked back in September 2019 if I could add it to my blog and she agreed. So thank you Kay Isabella Walters for these beautiful words.


PETER ANDERS BRANDT 
4th October 1874 - 10th June 1917

Our unsung heroes of war, why because of neglect, apathy or lack of knowledge of their existence.

This maybe the case of an unknown by me of a great uncle Peter Brandt. Why he was unknown is because of age but he appears to have died, in war, unknown by his family.


Peter's plaque under Eucalypt Tree in King's Park Perth, Western Australia.


Unsung heroes mere unknown

Why & where had time flown

Did anyone grieve?

I like to believe 

That his life did make a difference

Even though we were ignorant

To his sacrifice 

His life’s price

For our ultimate freedom.

When war was won

A price beyond none

An unknown great uncle

Did he ever grumble

At his lot

I think not

Recorded yet not known

Can we hear his moan

Would we have come to his aid

Would we have been as brave

Our unsung hero

Leaving no widow

Yet we now grieve

From his story now weaved

Into our present

His life well spent.
(© Kay Isabella Walters)







1 comment:

  1. Hi Nanniemarcy, I believe we are are both related as we are descendants of Thomas Rowely and Elizabeth Selwyn, I am related through their fifth daughter who married Henry Sparrow Briggs (my maiden name is Briggs). My contact details are gandlcarne@bigpond.com Kind regards, Lori

    ReplyDelete

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024 - Week 9 - Changing Names

  I have quite a few “changing names” candidates for this prompt. It never ceases to amaze me how some names through no fault of their own c...