Thursday 16 May 2019

Honour Avenues and Family History



In 2018 my husband and I travelled to Western Australia for a holiday. While in Perth we visited the Kings Park. This park is enormous and a great place to visit, but beware it is hard to see everything in just one day. If you have time to allocate more than one day I would advise doing so.

So what does Kings Park,Western Australia have to do with my Family History?

The Honour Avenues. 

While driving around the park we came across rows of Eucalypt Trees with plaques circling them at the bottom. On closer inspection we found each plaque inscribed with the name of a deceased service personnel, their Unit and rank, date of death and where and how they had died, along with who had dedicated the plaque.

All dedicated plaques represented those who died during war service or were buried overseas or who have no known grave and who enlisted in Western Australia.

As we drove around these avenue of trees I found myself being drawn to find out more about this memorial. I had not long finished a University Essay on my Great Uncle who had died in 1917 and who’s body had never been recovered and who had no known grave. He was calling me to find his name.

We made our way to the Visitor’s Information Centre where we asked how we could find if he had a plaque. A very helpful volunteer looked up the database for us and we found that my Great Uncle was not honoured. As yet!

We continued our exploration of the park and as the day wore on I knew what I had to do. Later that night at our accommodation, I researched the internet and found the website with all the relevant information. It was a wealth of information and I soon found who to contact to set in motion the dedication of a plaque for Peter Brandt. 


I am proud to say that this Saturday 18th May 2019, nearly 102 years after his death, Peter will have his own plaque dedicated in the Dedication Ceremony. As we live approximately 3,700 km away we are unable to attend the ceremony. But I am very fortunate that I have a nephew who has agreed to represent the family.

Peter was 43years of age and single when he died. Piecing his story together from what records I could find, I was concerned that there had been few to remember him. But not anymore. He will be remembered in this lovely “Avenue of Trees”, in Western Australia. RIP Peter.

My next post will hopefully be a short report as relayed by my nephew and maybe some photos. I know I am looking forward to receiving them.

2 comments:

  1. Well done to you for putting this in motion! What a lovely way to remember a family member.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words, I really didn't have much choice in the matter, something was really calling me to do it.

    ReplyDelete

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024 - Week 9 - Changing Names

  I have quite a few “changing names” candidates for this prompt. It never ceases to amaze me how some names through no fault of their own c...