Tuesday 19 June 2018

Chapter 26 - John



Elizabeth found herself settling into motherhood. She revelled in her role as caregiver to her two young children. She enjoyed the role of homemaker. Thomas was keen for her to make their house a home. 


I never seem to know where the days go. The seasons seem to go so fast, the children grow like weeds in this country. I suppose the freedom they have helps. 

Sitting in the late evening sun watching the children play in the garden, one April evening she found herself dry retching. Well, I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised it definitely isn’t the dried pork we didn’t have for lunch, she thought wryly to herself, making her way inside looking for a biscuit to settle her stomach. 

Another babe! At least I know that Thomas will welcome him or her with love, as will I. I guess we can expect to meet this one around the end of November. I wonder what we should expect? Either way, this babe will be loved, just as much as the other two. 

Month followed month, with very little change in routine. Elizabeth kept house and watched as Thomas seemed to be driving himself into the ground. It doesn't seem to be enough  being a Captain of the NSW Corps, he is obsessed with acquiring land and farming. 

Elizabeth felt the weight of the pregnancy with each passing day, she felt bigger each time. Struggling for breath near her time she had a nagging fear that something was wrong. 

“Tommy, Issy come inside and have a bite to eat,” standing in the doorway she scanned the yard for the children. “Where are you two scallywags?” 

Now where could they be? I haven’t got the energy for this. Just wait til I find them! 

As the sun was started to lower in the east Elizabeth caught her breathe as a searing pain grabbed at her belly. 

“Oh no, not now, I can’t do this now, Tommy, Issy come inside NOW! Hrrmmph, mmmnn, no Lors, not now.” 

Elizabeth made her way inside, with fear gripping her belly as well as the pains of labour.  

Oh my, these pains are so close, I don’t remember them coming so quickly before. Grabbing hold of the bedpost she screamed in agony and fear. There was no-one around to hear and the children hadn’t appeared either. No help from them, I can’t even send them for help. 

I guess I am on me own, I wish Thomas wasn’t at the barracks, he will probably go to the farm before he comes home as well. Where are those blasted children?

All to soon Elizabeth did’t have time to worry about the children’s where abouts. Things were moving rapidly and she had to concentrate on the business at hand whether she had help or not. 

“Breathe they say, yeah, breathe…oohh, no, eeerummp! Oh it’s coming’ it’s coming..ahhh!” 

“Mumma, what’s wrong, Mumma where are you?” Issy was calling from outside. 

“Issy, quickly take Tommy and go get Mumma help from someone, the baby’s here and Mumma needs help,” she strained to catch her breath. 

Elizabeth rested back on the pillows on her bed with her new son cradled in her arms. Exhaustion overtook her and she faded in and out of sleep with him nursing at her breast. 

“Elizabeth, Elizabeth are you oka…,” Thomas’s words were abruptly halted as he rushed into the room and he saw her on the bed. 

“Well my love you look as though you have had a trying day, what needs to be done?” he asked as he rolled up his sleeves to help with the rest of the birth and cleanup. 

Issy and Tommy had run to the barracks, but had met their father half way on his way home to check on Elizabeth.  

“I don’t know what made me start out to come home, I just had this feeling that you needed me. The Governor isn’t going to be too pleased, but I will cope with that later,” as he tied off the cord, he held out his arms to take his new son. 

“Well my man, you have made an eventful day of it, haven’t you? I think your Mumma will remember the 28 November 1797 for more than just you.⁠[1]  You must have given her quite the scare, having to do it all herself. But just as well she is such a strong woman, hey John Rowley?” 

Smiling at the scene before her, Elizabeth asked, “So we have a John, do we?”

________

1 Registry of Birth, Deaths and Marriages, NSW John Selwin, #492/1797 V17974924, https://familyhistory.bdm.nsw.gov.au/lifelink/familyhistory/search/result?30, accessed 15 April 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024 - Week 9 - Changing Names

  I have quite a few “changing names” candidates for this prompt. It never ceases to amaze me how some names through no fault of their own c...