Tuesday 19 June 2018

Chapter 25 - Christmas



Humming to herself while hanging another load of washing on the line, Elizabeth was pleased to see the mud had eventually come out of the sheet. 


Hearing whistling from the front of the house she quickly brushed her hair behind her ears, noticing the sweat gathering around her temples. Oh well, he has seen me looking worse, dabbing her forehead with her apron as she rushed to meet him. 

“Whatever have you got there Thomas?” 

“Well my dear, I have been given extra rations for Christmas? What say you, do you think you could make something special for Christmas dinner?”

Peering into the sack he carried Elizabeth’s could barely contain her excitement, “I have never seen some of these things before, but I sure will try, once I find out what they are! I can ask Mrs Perry down the way, she is a great cook. Oh this will be so much fun.” 

The next few days were a buzz of activity. Elizabeth washed and polished every surface. She asked Mrs Perry around for a cup of tea and picked her brain about what was in the box and how to cook it. 

We are going to have a Christmas. I hope I can do this, I want to make this a great time for us all. 

Christmas morning dawned bright, sunny and hot. Elizabeth was up early getting the fire stoked and dinner in her oven, while the household slept. She had a special surprise for the children, boiling away in the big pot on the stove. 

“Elizabeth what are you doing?” Thomas asked rubbing sleep from his eyes, as he walked into the room. 

“Well Christmas dinner won’t cook itself, will it?” snuggling closer to him as his all encompassing arms wrapped around her. It is far to hot already for this, but she accepted the kiss he was keen to give her. 

“Mumma, Papa whats you doing?” they heard as two little pairs of feet padded across the room.  

Releasing her Thomas scooped Tommy up in his arms and motioned for Isabella to follow him. 

“Let’s take your Mumma out of this hot room for a while.” 

Elizabeth’s protests of how much she had to do, were drowned out amongst the shrieks of the children. My goodness these two can shriek, I’m glad we have no close neighbours. 

Elizabeth and the children were greeted by a very unusual sight when they exited the door. 

“Oh my… 

“Ook Mumma…” Tommy screamed. 

“Why does that tree have things on it…” Isabella asked? 

                        …whatever have you been doing Thomas?” 

Turning back towards the door, Elizabeth couldn’t contain her laughter, when she saw Thomas with a sheepish grin looking at her. 

“Well I thought it was high time we started some family traditions. Do you like them?” 

Elizabeth walked over to what looked like a branch from a native tree stuck into a water pale. Tied to it’s spindly branches were some red and green bows. It still had some dried brown blossoms attached. A reminder of the glorious spring when the yellow blooms were in full colour.  Also hanging from the branches were little berries of dubious vintage.  

“It is beautiful! When did all this happen?” 

“You weren’t the only one up early, you know. I climbed out the window and got it all done in no time.” 

“Papa, can we touch it, can we please?” Isabella cried. 

“Well little one I don’t know if it will hold up to being handled. So how about we sit in the sun and open presents, hey?” 

Elizabeth stared at Thomas in surprise, “Presents?” 

“Yes presents! Now sit down and wait your turn.” 

She soon found herself with two little ones on her lap, while Thomas strode into the house with purpose, soon returning with his hands behind his back. 

“Now who wants a present?” 

The children sprang up, tripping over each other in their excitement. 

“Me, me.” 

Handing each child a roughly wrapped object, in what looked like a piece of cloth, he bade them to sit down while they open them. 

“Now Elizabeth, did you think I would forget you?” 

A present for me? Yes if I am honest, I never expected a present, not after all your talking about it being a waste of money. 

“Really Thomas. A present? What happened to it being a waste of money?” 

Smiling he handed her a small package. It is cloth, and it will make a lovely pillow, she thought as she unwrapped it. 

“Oh Thomas, it is beautiful. I have never had my own looking glass before. And all this cloth, I can make so many lovely things with it. Thank you.”  

Seeing the children about to throw their packaging on the ground unwanted, she grabbed it before it was trodden under foot. She wasn’t about to let it be wasted.

“What have you got there?” 

Sitting back down, the children showed her their presents. Isabella had two small wooden teacups and Tommy had six wooden blocks. She raised an eyebrow while looking back at Thomas. 

“The nights were quiet on duty last month, I thought I would try my hand at whittling. At least we will have something real to drink out of at the next tea party we are invited to. The ribbons on the tree are for you and Isabella too.” 

With tears in her eyes, she turned toward the house, “ I had better tend to the food or we won’t be having any Christmas dinner today, at all!” 

Smiling later at the happy faces of her family around the table, she asked, “Does anyone have room for Figgy Pudding?”


No comments:

Post a Comment

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024 - Week 9 - Changing Names

  I have quite a few “changing names” candidates for this prompt. It never ceases to amaze me how some names through no fault of their own c...