Friday 5 February 2021

#52 ANCESTORS IN 52 WEEKS 2021 - Week Five - In The Kitchen



Week 5: In the Kitchen

I have been cooking Christmas Cakes about forty years. When my children left home or married, I also added another one to the baking list for a Christmas present for them.This practise has seen me mixing and baking many cakes during the month of December as I also made some for friends and other relatives at different times.

My eldest son wasn’t a fan of fruit cake but his wife was and it was very gratifying each year when she asked if they were getting another cake! In successive years as my other two sons left home and eventually married they also received a cake.

My daughter also has been getting a cake even though she lives on her own and she makes the most of it by cutting it all up and freezing it, so it is on hand whenever she wants some.

I think my all time record of Christmas cakes is only eight but it was a feat in itself when I tried to do all the mixing at once! Note to self … I don’t have a bowl big enough to mix eight cakes! I learnt my lesson though and remembered to do them in batches of two but definitely no more than three!

But this year I made the decision that I had to retire this practise! As I can no longer stand for any great length of time and definitely not the time it takes to mix fruit cakes. So instead  I gave my children a laminated copy of my tattered old recipe and also my tried and tested tips on the back of it.

Who knows one of them might make me a Christmas cake one day!



Nanniemarcy's
Tried and Tested Tips



Original Recipes from

NMAA cooks – recipes for busy families.





No comments:

Post a Comment

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024 - Week 9 - Changing Names

  I have quite a few “changing names” candidates for this prompt. It never ceases to amaze me how some names through no fault of their own c...