Wednesday 18 March 2020

ELLEN #FIVE


Feeling flustered Ellen disengaged herself from Barney’s lap and arms. She needed distance from him as she gathered her thoughts. Have I done the right thing? I only prayed for it after all. Now that Barney was so enthusiastic about it all, she wondered if it was really what she wanted.  


“Barney I think you need to start at the beginning. Please tell me exactly what has happened today and what you mean by all this. How can it be possible?”  

“Well my acushla, as I said, the Governor of New South Wales has appointed Surgeon Superintendents from the colony to bring immigrants to Australia. He has appointed them to manage the big numbers that will be on the ships. As Dr Alick Osborne has already sailed on the convict ships he has been appointed to offer passages to men with families, as well as single men and single women even, as long as they are travelling with families.” [1] 

“But when…”  

“So tomorrow I plan to go back and sign us up. The ship is due to sail on 14th March, so my acushla, that is about the gist of it. “  

“But how…”  

“It is our new beginning in a new land. A land that will see our children prosper and we will get out of this hell hole of a life that we have now. So what do you think? Can we do it, can we be ready?”  

“A new life. Barney, you know I will follow you to the end of the earth and it sounds like it might just be that! But we will make it work! I know we can make it work.”  

In the following weeks, Barney and Ellen set about making their dream come true. A dream of a better life for their family. 

The day finally came to leave for Londonderry. Their neighbour Jerry was taking them in his cart then driving back. Ellen with their meagre belongings rode in the back along with their five children, Patrick, Owen, young Ellen, Maria, and Cornelius.  

Barney and Ellen both held back tears as they started the first part of this journey to join the other passengers on the ship Adam Lodge. They noticed many other families travelling the same way.  

“Da, how big will the boat be?” asked Owen.  

“It is called a ship son and I don’t really know as I haven’t seen many myself, but I guess we will soon find out.”  

“How many people will be on the boat Da,” piped up young Ellen. 

“Well that I can take a guess at, as Dr Osborne told me when I signed up that I was number 360, so I guess with the ship’s crew it is a bit more than that.”[2] 

The trip to Londonderry was made with mixed emotions. Taking the better part of the day it was a sober group on the road to board the Adam Lodge, which would be their home for four months.  

Londonderry was soon in sight, the children were all agape with excitement, and very eager to see the ship. 

“Where is it Da, where is our boat?”  

“How did they get all that water here?” 

“Now hold your tongues young ‘uns. I need to find the registration tent, to let them know we are here. Ellen can you help Jerry with unloading the wagon, so he can be heading back?”  

“Of course, Barney. Now you children hop down from the cart and stand right there, don’t move.” 

Of course I can help unload the cart, keep five children from running amuck and would you like a cup of tea as well? thought Ellen as she climbed down off the back of the cart with Cornelius in her arms. She quickly got the children settled beside the road with their bags. Turning to help Jerry, she was relieved that he had managed the rest of their belongings by himself.  

“I’ll be off Mrs, I will just have a quick dram at the local before I head home. All the best to you and Barney, Mrs, I hope all goes well for you.” 

Ellen took in her surroundings. Amongst the hustle and bustle of the wharf, there seemed to be numerous boats of various sizes in port, dear Lord please let there be a bigger boat than these somewhere. 

Seeing Barney approaching her, she gave Cornelius to Patrick with a stern look that the children all knew meant business and they should stay put. 

“Barney please tell me that the Adam Lodge is a bigger ship than these ones in the port.” 

“ Ahh my acushla, the Adam Lodge isn’t here yet, we won’t be boarding today, I’m afraid.” [3] 

Ellen felt the blood draining from her face. 

“Not boarding? What are we to do? We don’t have enough money for lodgings for seven of us.” Putting his arm around her waist Barney steadied her as she wobbled on her feet, worry clearly showing on her face.
__________________________
1.  McDonnell, Pat. "The Voyage of the Adam Lodge." Clogher Record 13, no. 1 (1988): 132-37. Accessed March 16, 2020. doi:10.2307/27699282, p133

2. "SHIPPING INTELLIGENCE." The Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser (NSW : 1803 - 1842) 15 July 1837: 2. Web. 17 Mar 2020 <http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article2211932>.

3.  Osborne, Alick. 'Journal of Occurrences Connected with Emigration', 8 July 1836-17 July 1837, by Dr Alick Osborne. State Library of New South Wales, https://search.sl.nsw.gov.au/primo-explore/fulldisplay?docid=ADLIB110363233&context=L&vid=SLNSW&lang=en_US&search_scope=E&adaptor=Local%20Search%20Engine&tab=default_tab&query=any,contains,%27Journal%20of%20Occurrences%20connected%20with%20Emigration%27%20%208%20July%201836-17%20July%201837%20%20by%20Dr%20Alick%20Osborne




No comments:

Post a Comment

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024 - Week 9 - Changing Names

  I have quite a few “changing names” candidates for this prompt. It never ceases to amaze me how some names through no fault of their own c...