Monday 26 February 2024

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024 - Week 8 - Heirlooms

 







I have quite a few keepsakes in my possession that I have acquired over the years and some would say that I have far too many.  I am not a hoarder but I do love my ornaments and things that mean something to me.  These things are not antiques or worth a lot of money but they are all part of who I am and where I have come from.


My Christmas decorations have a special place in my heart and they bring me joy every year to see them displayed.  One of the most treasured things on my Christmas tree is some very old and tattered and threadbare gold and pink tinsel.  My Dad brought this home one year when one of the clubs he delivered small goods to was updating their decorations and was throwing it out.  It has stood the test of time and adorned our Christmas trees of my childhood, travelled with my Mum in her possessions after Dad died and then became part of our family decorations.  I leave it on our Christmas tree now each year when packing up, to preserve it a little bit longer as I think the putting on and taking off each year is a bit too much for it and would add to its threadbare(tinsel bare?) state.  So now it is carefully covered with the whole tree each year. 


Another favourite tree decoration for me are the set of wooden Christmas teddy bear hanging ornaments that I painted in one of my Folk Art classes.  These are all named on the back and this year I asked the Grandies to pick their two favourite while decorating our tree and their initials were also written on the back.  So somewhere down the track CR, AJ, IF, PH, LP, EJ and CM will know which ones they may claim!  I also have quite a few hand painted Christmas ornaments and plaques that I loved painting and which give me much pleasure.  I have a fairly large collection of Santas.  Each year they adorn a coffee table and as yet I haven’t been able to stop my addiction with collecting them, but I do try to limit the purchase to one a year. 


I also have lots of glassware in our china cabinet that was my Mums.  Some of the things are also mine that I have acquired over the years.  I have a twelve piece dinner set that I got for my 21st from a group of friends.  This over the years was brought out for special occasions but it hasn't seen much use lately as I don't have the ability to get it out and put it away.


Then I have my books.  Fred said once on Facebook that he thought I should have been a librarian as I had more books than a library, he is a bit prone to exaggeration!  But in saying that I do have some favourites that I would love someone else to eventually treasure as much as I.  I have a collection of Georgette Heyer that has brought me many hours of enjoyment. Also I have a collection of paperback Agatha Christies mysteries that were my Mums.  She would scour the Op shops for copies that she didn't have and I haven't had the inclination to get rid of them.  Then there is my collection of Anne of Green Gables.  So I have noted many times with my family to think before they relegate things to the Op shops. 


I am currently working on my heirlooms.  My quilts!  Sewing patchwork quilts brings me joy.  Also seeing Grandies snuggled up together under one, two or three of my quilts while watching TV is something I treasure!  They still manage to find them even on a stinking hot day!  So I am happily creating my supply of snuggle quilts for heirloom treasures.


I need to go through my china cabinet and mark things that have been passed down to me.  Most of these things I don’t know the origin of, as my Mum and Dad just had them when they were around and of course it was never mentioned where or how they came to have them.  I also have a very delicate diamond ring which was given to me for my seventeenth birthday and from memory was told it belonged to a Great Aunt.  Who was this Great Aunt?  I have no idea and I don’t remember ever being told and why I didn’t ask I will never fathom!  


So in writing this it has spurred me into thinking that I need to get around to documenting what things are and how they came to be for future generations.  I just hope they are given the same pride of place that I have given them.





No comments:

Post a Comment

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024 - Week 9 - Changing Names

  I have quite a few “changing names” candidates for this prompt. It never ceases to amaze me how some names through no fault of their own c...