Wednesday 20 January 2021

#52 ANCESTORS IN 52 WEEKS 2021-Week 3

Week 3 - Namesake

As most of the people mentioned in this post are alive I have omitted their surnames as a courtesy.

I was never a fan of my middle name while growing up. Well who would like the name of Ruby? And why did I have to be named after my mother? How embarrassing! Well at least I didn’t get her middle name of Florence!

But how things change when you find yourself an adult! I cherished the name once in my adult years, more so once my darling mother was gone. I have been very proud to have it as my second name, Marcia Ruby.

The name of Ruby has appeared now over the years with my mother’s great grandchildren. We have my granddaughter Chloe Ruby and there are another three great nieces who also carry the name with an Ella Ruby, Tayissa Ruby and a Ruby Veronica.

We also have a trend for my father’s surname appearing as second names in later years with a Jessica Brandt [surname] and a Jethro Brandt William [surname].

As far as names of my ancestors go, there are many and varied names that have cropped up over and over. My tree is littered with the name Alfred, Bernard, Cornelius, David, Edward, Eliza, Elizabeth, Ellen, Fanny, Florence, Frederick, George, Henry, Isabella, James, Jane, John, Louisa, Mary, May, Rowley, Sarah, Sparrow, Thomas, William, to name just a few.

I am sure I am not alone with many fellow Family Historians having trees with names appearing over and over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024 - Week 9 - Changing Names

  I have quite a few “changing names” candidates for this prompt. It never ceases to amaze me how some names through no fault of their own c...