Sunday 17 September 2017

Week Four -Flash Story


NO PLACE LIKE HOME

STANVILLE


What had I done? The Court wanted to auction my beloved Stanville.


I remember the first day I saw that parcel of land. Through the trees I could see the sun shimmering on the waves at Collaroy beach. Patterns of orange and pink danced on the calm tide. The memory of those colours remain with me always.


Things had been going well, with my Carrier business. Surely, with the Depression over, it was time I provided Florence with a home of her own. It would be good for the children to breathe the sea air instead of the stench of the streets of Newtown and play in safety, without fear of being run down by passing vehicles.


It had been a labour of love building our little cottage Stanville. The name just seemed right. Stanley had been such a dear little lad, taken from us too soon, he never saw the carriage approaching.


Now nine years later we could lose it all. My house to be auctioned because of my foolishness and not paying my mortgage. How was I going to find the £336.16s.7d. needed to pay the bank.


No matter what it took, I would work day and night. This was our home, our Stanville, our first and only home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

#52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks 2024 - Week 9 - Changing Names

  I have quite a few “changing names” candidates for this prompt. It never ceases to amaze me how some names through no fault of their own c...